Meet your A Step Ahead Physiotherapy team.
A wealth of expertise brought together to look after you.
Christine Gibbs PT, BS, MPT - Cayman Islands Physiotherapist
Christine graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Exercise Physiology from California State University, Fresno. She continued her education at CSUF and graduated Magna Cum Laude with great distinction, earning a Master of Physical Therapy degree in 2001. Throughout her career, she has worked in a variety of settings and has treated all body parts from head to toe. She enjoys fixing people from all levels of fitness and has ultimately found her niche in sports rehabilitation and gait biomechanics. She is trained in a wide variety of manual therapy techniques, custom orthotic fitting, and specializes in biomechanics of the lower extremity and foot function. Becoming a Cayman Islands Physiotherapist has enabled her to continue with her passion for fixing people in an ideal environment and A Step Ahead Physiotherapy, Cayman is the perfect place!
Christine is an avid golfer, runner, and triathlon enthusiast. Due to this passion for athletics, she is keen to help others restore their health and fitness to enable them to return to their passions. Christine moved to the Cayman Islands in 2002 and has embraced the island lifestyle with her husband, Gary, and 2 cats, Cleo and Harley. She is proud to have been selected to serve on the National Council for Persons with Disabilities. She is looking forward to making improvements in Grand Cayman for those living with disabilities.
Education and Training
- BS, Exercise Physiology - California State University, Fresno, USA www.csufresno.edu/fresnostate
- Master of Physical Therapy - Magna Cum Laude with great distinction, California State University, Fresno, USA
- Functional Stability Training for the Lower Body www.functionalstability.com
- Functional Stability Training for the Upper Body www.functionalstability.com
- Mulligan Concept Functional Exam and Treatment of SI Joint & Pubic Symphysis www.neseminars.com
- Diagnosis & Treatment of Midfoot Injuries in Runner www.motivationsceu.com
- Advanced Management of Lower Extremity Injuries in the Athlete www.healthclick.com
- Diagnosing & Treating Injuries Resulting from a Breakdown of the Kinetic Chain www.motivationsceu.com
- Recent Advances in Evidence Based Evaluation and Treatment of the Knee www.OnlineKneeSeminar.com
- Knee Deep: Anatomical Review of Knee Structures www.motivationsceu.com
- Evidence-based Interventions for Myofascial Trigger Points www.motivationsceu.com
- Comprehensive Treatment of the Foot and Ankle www.glseminars.com
- Treatment of the Lumbar Complex www.glseminars.com
- Optimal Shoulder Performance www.ShoulderSeminar.com
- Core Functional Stability www.FunctionalStability.com
- Advanced Management of the Lower Extremeity Injuries in the Athlete www.healthclick.com
- Diagnosis and Treatment of the Upper & Lower Quadrant by Brian Mulligan http://nes.multi-versity.com
- Mulligan Concept: Shoulder, Thoracic, Spinal Mobilization with Arm Movement http://nes.multi-versity.com
- Mulligan Concept: Lumbar Spine, Sacroiliac Joint, and Hip http://nes.multi-versity.com
- Knee Rehab: Patellofemoral and ACL Injuries http://nes.multi-versity.com
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Muscle Imbalances http://nes.multi-versity.com
- Managing Challenging Lower Limb Problems by Jenny McConnell http://nes.multi-versity.com
- Assessment of the Lumbar Spine by David MaGee http://nes.multi-versity.com
- MTTS 80 Hour Acupuncture Foundation Course http://mtts-acupuncture.co.uk
- Recent Advances in the Treatment of Shoulder and Knee www.neseminars.com
- Fundamentals of Kinesio Taping Kinesio Taping KT1, KT2, KT3 Intermediate Whole Body Kinesio Taping www.kinesiotaping.com
- Myofascial Release: State of the Art Tissue Mobilization Active Release Techniques, Spine www.activerelease.com
- Practical Applications to Biomechanics of the Foot, Ankle, & Lower Extremity Assessment & Treatment of Lumbopelvic Instability Basics of Sacroiliac Mobilization www.glseminars.com
- For Your Patients Who Play Golf Take the Next Step http://www.rehabedge
- Manual Therapy of the Upper Extremity Functional Biomechanics of the Lower Quarter www.rehabedge
- Mat Pilates for Rehabilitation Mobilization of the Cervical and Thoracic Spine and Ribs www.glseminars.com
- Miami Hand Reconstruction Course www.orthonowfl.com
Areas of Focus
- Lower extremity biomechanics
- Running injuries and dysfunction - keeping the runner running!
- Foot dysfunction and how it affects everything above it
- Video gait analysis
- Video golf swing analysis
- American Physical Therapy Association www.apta.org California Chapter Physical Therapy Association www.ccapta.org
- National Council for Persons with Disabilities, Grand Cayman, January 2017 - present
- Volunteer with Cayman HospiceCare, 2013 - present www.caymanhospicecare.ky
- Director, Cayman Heart Fund Board, 2014 - present www.caymanheartfund.com
- Volunteer for Cayman Island Special Olympics, 2015 www.soci.ky
- Mentor for Mentoring Cayman, 2012 & 2014 www.caymanchamber.ky
- Past President of Cayman Islands Triathlon Association, www.triathlon.ky
- Volunteer Swim Physio for CIASA, 2002 - 2004
Triathlons, Half Marathons, Golf, Scuba diving, Water Skiing, Travelling and Cooking.
Roma Oleksyn PT, BKin, BScPT - Cayman Islands Physiotherapist
Roma graduated from the University of Saskatchewan where she obtained degrees in Education, Kinesiology and Physiotherapy. Her work as a Physiotherapist has been diverse incorporating both the public and private sectors.
During Roma’s 15 year career, she has gained extensive experience treating trauma-induced sports injuries, repetitive strains, motor vehicle accidents, work-related injuries and in post-surgical rehabilitation. Her passion for treating sports related injuries enticed her to move from Canada to Grand Cayman to work with the team at A Step Ahead Physiotherapy.
Roma’s patients appreciate her thorough and personable care. Her approach to rehabilitation is to educate patients about their injuries, advise them on what they can do to facilitate their healing and apply the optimal Physiotherapy treatment. In an effort to continuously expand her skill set as a Physiotherapist, Roma pursues courses in manual therapy, prevention of running injuries and spinal stabilization. This past year saw her become a Certified Lymphedema Therapist and Gunn IMS practitioner. She is excited to provide both of these specialized treatments for patients in the Cayman Islands.
Roma’s passion for treating sports injuries stems from her own experience as an athlete. While at the University of Saskatchewan, she was a member of the Huskie Track & Field Team and competed nationally and internationally in the Heptathlon. While competing at an elite level, she gained an appreciation for the positive influence that Physiotherapy had on healing injuries and optimizing athletic performance.
Since hanging up her track spikes, she found a new passion in the sport of rowing and competed for the Calgary Rowing Club for seven seasons. Moving to the island has given Roma the opportunity to explore a variety of new activities. From paddle boarding to yoga on the beach - she is enjoying all the fun that island life has to offer.
Roma identifies with patient’s athletic goals and understands what motivates them. She is committed to providing Physiotherapy treatments that help her patients get back in the game!
- UBC Gunn IMS Course www.ubcgunnims.com
- Academy of Lymphatic Studies: Complete Lymphedema Certification Course www.acols.com
- Mastering the Shoulder: Level 1 Essential Orthopaedics Course
- APTEI: The Shoulder Complex Part I & II
- Acupuncture Foundation of Canada Institute: AA1 & AA2 Courses
- New Trends in the Prevention of Running Injuries Course
- New Advances in Hip Rehabilitation Course
- Building the Ultimate Back: From Rehabilitation to Performance
- Level 1 of The Canadian Academy of Manipulative Physiotherapy
- Canadian Physiotherapy Association, Orthopaedic & Acupuncture Division Member
- Acupuncture Canada Member
- The Running Clinic - Specialist
Shemika is ASAP's Administrative Assistant. She was born and raised in Grand Cayman where she grew up with her mom, dad and 7 siblings. Being the youngest of them all, growing up she was not only raised with them but with her nieces and nephews as well (13 of them!) By having this lifestyle, Shemika not only helped love and care for them genuinely but it also directed her into her interest of Midwifery Nursing/Pediatrics as she grew older. She is currently finishing up her first year of AS Sciences (Associates course) at the University College of the Cayman Islands (UCCI) where she will be furthering her education by doing her BSc in Nursing at the School of Nursing also at UCCI in Fall (September) 2014.
Shemika joined the ASAP team in March of 2014 where she started working as the Administrative Assistant. She is looking forward to a lifetime here at ASAP!